Thursday, January 24, 2008

Just Plain Sad

So yes, I've also heard the news of Heath Ledger's untimely death. When Don told me I was shocked and said how awful it was. Initially Don attributed me saying this because he was an actor. While "10 Things I Hate About You" is one of my favorite movies and I've always appreciated his acting mettle, really, it's sad because he was young, seemingly healthy, and left behind a beautiful two-year-old daughter. It's sad when anyone, actor or not, dies at such an age when life is supposed to be just beginning.

And what REALLY is sad is the following quote that I took from an MSN article:

"Outside the Manhattan building on an upscale street, paparazzi and gawkers gathered, and several police officers put up barricades to control the crowd of about 300. Onlookers craned their necks as officers brought out a black body bag on a gurney, took it across the sidewalk and put it into a medical examiner's office van.

As the door opened, bystanders snapped pictures with camera phones, rolled video and said, "He's coming out!""

This is ridiculous and disgusting. It's bad enough that paparazzi dog these people when they're alive, but to have people screaming and taking pictures as a gurney is rolled out bearing his dead body?! Get a grip! I remember my brother, who lives in this same NYC neighborhood, telling me how he saw Heath Ledger at the laundromat one day and how cool he was. This was a man, plain and simple, and to have his death denigrated and made to be some circus show is just plain sad.

I guess I should grab my camera when I head to my next funeral.

3 comments:

Higgins said...

Your point is well-taken, Bridgette. This is an epidemic in pop-culture today. The troubles of Britney Spears have been on display for quite some time now. The constant media attention probably exacorbates her woes. What is going on in the hearts of people that we are fascinated with the real troubles of others? How can this mindset begin to change?

The Rice's said...

i tagged ya. So! Here are the rules! Have fun!

Link to the person who tagged you, and post the rules on your blog.
Share 7 facts about yourself.
Tag 7 random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Unknown said...

People love to know everything about famous people. On film, actors take people out of the mundane, normalness of their own lives. So it only follows that folks wants to see what their real lives are like, too. And thanks to the digital age, the access and availability to those lives is greater than ever.

Add to that the fact that lots of people honestly ENJOY seeing other people fail, falter and struggle... and it's easy to see that the media attention givin to celebrities isn't likely to diminish.

That being said, "Knight's Tale" is one of my favorite films. In all its cheesiness, it's a lot of fun and it looks like the actors had a good time making it.