Saturday, January 19, 2008

Wild Kingdom

Okay, maybe my friend Heidi is rubbing off on me. We used to frequently go for walks in the mornings at Princeton along a pretty canal that ran behind our apartment buildings, both for the exercise and the fellowship (something I dearly miss). And it would never fail that at some point during our walk she'd see some woodland creature. A bird, deer, fox, snake, turtle. It was as if they came out just to say "Hi" to her. I used to call her Dancing Cloud.

So I just looked into my backyard and I was astounded by the amount of birds I saw. There were four blue jays, two woodpeckers, and - I'm not even kidding you - 30 robins. Now trust me, spring is no where near here. It's currently 18 degrees out, but it feels like 4. So why they're all flying around and chirping all over the place has got me, but it was a welcome sight and a pleasant reminder of a great friend. I believe I can call myself Running Water now.

2 comments:

jennifer said...

We miss you guys!

Higgins said...

...we don't see too many birds out of our window, but we always see squirrels... I think that has something to do with Micheline putting muffins and whole pieces of bread on the window sill. She likes to say "hi" to random animals too.